Sugo is a versatile Italian tomato sauce that can be used in a variety of dishes, such as pasta, pizza, and meat dishes. Here's a simple recipe for making your own delicious sugo:
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 can (28 oz) whole peeled tomatoes
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon dried basil
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add the finely chopped onion and sauté until it becomes translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
4. Add the whole peeled tomatoes, along with their juices, to the pot. Break up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon or spatula.
5. Add the dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and black pepper, to taste.
6. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened.
7. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
8. Remove the sauce from the heat and let it cool slightly.
9. Once the sauce has cooled down, use an immersion blender or a regular blender to blend the sauce until smooth.
10. Use the sugo immediately or store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Sugo is a delicious and versatile sauce that can be used in a variety of dishes. With this simple recipe, you can easily make your own sugo at home and add it to your favorite dishes for added flavor and depth.